Lockdown in ACT until 15 October due to Covid-19
14 September 2021
The ACT will continue in lockdown until until midnight on Friday 15 October, as a result of continuing COVID-19 cases and community transmission in the ACT.
People in the ACT can only leave their home for the following six essential reasons:
- to buy essential groceries and medicine
- to access essential healthcare including in-home care
for essential work
- to exercise outdoors for one hour per day in your region
- to get a COVID-19 test
- to get a COVID-19 vaccination.
Changes to initial restrictions will come into effect from 5:00pm this Thursday (2 September), and include:
- one household (any size) or up to 5 people can gather outdoors for up to 2 hours for exercise or non-organised recreation.
- outdoor playgrounds, fitness stations and dog parks will reopen. Canberrans are asked to ensure they maintain physical distancing wherever practicable.
- the number of people able to attend a funeral increased to no more than 20 people (excluding the people necessary to conduct the funeral).
- the number of people able to attend a wedding increased to no more than 10 attendees (excluding the celebrant, but including persons being married and two witnesses).
- other religious ceremonies which are time critical are permitted to go ahead with no more than 10 people (excluding those conducting the service).
- the recommencement of services that operate outdoors and where physical distancing can be maintained, such as outdoor maintenance and gardening and dog grooming services.
From 11.59pm this Friday (17 September):
- the recommencement of outdoor social and recreational sport with up to 5 people. This does not permit organised competition, coaching or training to recommence. Indoor sport also remains closed at this time. This is linked to restrictions related to outdoor gatherings for exercise or non-organised recreation where one household (any size) or up to 5 people can gather outdoors for up to two hours for exercise or non-organised recreation.
- allowing small businesses who are currently permitted to operate a click and collect or click and deliver service to have up to 5 people in the business at any one time or one person per four square metres, whichever is lesser (increasing from 2 people).
- the recommencement of in-person house inspections by private appointment. Only household members will be permitted to attend an appointment with 1 Real Estate agent.
Gatherings in the home – including in outdoor areas – will still not be allowed at this stage.
Masks will also continue to be required at all times upon leaving home, including in workplaces, if you are aged 12 years and over.
ACT schools will continue with remote learning for the rest of Term
All ACT public schools and Early Childhood Education and Care services, including out of school hours care, will remain open for children of parents and carers who cannot work from home and vulnerable children.
Essential retail will remain open for the duration of the lockdown. We encourage all Canberrans to buy only what they need, maintain social distancing and be considerate.
Non-essential businesses, including non-essential retail must close for the duration of the lockdown.
If you can work from home, you must work from home.
Further information on permitted activities and which businesses can operate during the lockdown is available on the ACT COVID-19 website.
Everyone in the ACT should continue to review the ACT COVID-19 website for exposure locations www.covid19.act.gov.au/act-status-and-response/act-covid-19-exposure-locations
For information about testing visit www.covid19.act.gov.au.
ACT Policing will be undertaking compliance checks across the ACT and you will be expected to provide proof of residential address and the reason you are moving about the ACT community.