About the Progress Association
The 'Progress Association' is an incorporated, not-for-profit community association which promotes the interests of Hall and district community members. While the Association is incorporated in the ACT, the Hall district extends across the border towards Murrumbateman and Gundaroo, and down to the Murrumbidgee River. Hall village has been designated a heritage precinct in the Territory Plan, due primarily to past efforts of the Association.
The Progress Association has been part of this community for more than a hundred years, and is believed to be the oldest community association in the ACT. It has a long and proud history of representing the needs and interests of the community and is recognized by government for its capacity to represent the village and district.
Functions of the Progress Association
The objects of the Association are:
(a) to further the interests and welfare of the community of the Village of Hall and District; and,
(b) to protect and progress the amenity and character of the Village of Hall.
The Association, working in partnership with government agencies, statutory bodies and other stakeholders when needed, performs a number of functions including:
- Advocacy and representation of the Hall and district community in relation to significant planning, development, heritage and environmental issues and the provision of government services.
- Custodianship and management of the Hall Showground PavilionandSchool Site.
- Informing the community about local issues, events, and personalities – through the Rural Fringe newsletter, and the Association's website.
- Organising or helping to organise a range of community social and fund-raising activities.
- Facilitating or undertaking minor repairs and maintenancein and around the village, such as at the showground and barbeque sheds.
- Acting as an umbrella group for a number of special interest groups and affiliated community associations.
- Convening public meetingsor facilitating other types of consultation on issues of widespread community interest or concern.
Membership is open to all residents of the village and district and currently costs $10.00 per year. Community groups and associations can become affiliated organizational members for $20.00 per year.
The Association is governed by a President and Committee elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.
- Membership forms can be downloaded from this website.